Here is how to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new high capacity backup drive
i.e. Here by learn how to transfer your existing Time Machine backups to a new drive in five simple steps.
Step 01: First check the format of your new backup drive
- Connect your new backup drive to your Mac.
- Open Disk Utility (located in the Utilities folder).
- In Disk Utility, select the new drive’s icon to make sure it has a GUID partition and is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Reformat it with option Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition. At this stage you can format your new backup drive with Mac OSX Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) to password protect your backup drive & there by safe guard your data. Remember & write down what encryption password you set this time for your drive.
Step 02: Set permissions on your new backup drive
- Open a new Finder window > in sidebar of your Finder window > click the icon of the new backup drive.
- Choose Get Info from the File menu.
- Make sure “Ignore ownership on this volume” at the bottom of the “Sharing & Permissions” section of the Get Info window is deselected (unchecked).